Sunday 10 August 2014

DYING STAGE

The prognosis of Rus tummy in his third surgery was not doing well. The swell continues. The infection level is high because fever never subsided. He has a constant temperature of 38 to 39 degrees. Every day the tummy is increasing in a few centimeters.

Today I am just writing what had happen on the 7th of August 2014.

That day was a very significant day because it is the day that Rus battles for his life. I would never expect it will come that far…holding a dying child. 
After school, I rushed to the hospital to see and toke care of my son. Arriving in the Maria Reyna, I saw  Rus breathing deeply as if he lacked of oxygen. I asked my hubby regarding the doctor’s feedback to his status. He said, “he needs to be in ICU. Tummy is still swelling and fever is still high.”
I toke a deep breath. I toke some wet rag and wet with water. I do sponge bath on him to tone down his temperature. He is still breathing deeply and he is whinny. I laid him comfortably on his bed as he watched his videos from my handphone. 

He was not happy  as if he is asking for something which we couldn’t decipher. I asked his papa to come closer to us and requested him to carry Rus instead of me. My hubby allowed me to rest for a while as he toke over of caring Rus.  I lay on the bed next to them hoping I could sleep. I saw them together, they all slept together in his bed enjoying the videos in the phone. Just a few minutes later, I noticed Rus two loud painful cry. I was irritated why he was in pain. So I got up check his IV sites for dislodge. My hubby also wonder.  As a mother instinct, I toke him, lay on my lap for comfort. My hubby helped me pass him to me properly. As he seated in my lap, I noticed bad features in his face.  My niece Nel shouted, “Rus is pailing!!” 

 My hubby is trying to blurt word of comfort to his son.  I started to be very hysterical. I shouted for doctor’s help. Immediately my niece call the nurses  for help and they had noticed that patient Rus needs immediate support for he is in critical stage already.  I noticed my hubby also wailing and he is trying to comfort is cold, pale and light as a feather body. I hugged Rus in my arms closer to my chest with tears as my hubby enveloped us in his arms. I called him name for several times begging for the Lord to do something to him. Although, I noticed the nurses were doing some set up for resuscitation, but I never mind it. The doctors came to get Rus from my arms and placed him on his bed. They did all the necessary things for him to revive. They checked all his vital signs. I noticed he has no more blood pressure. The oxygen level slowly drops from 80 to 72. Doctor Bellina, a crtical care doctor quickly ask my permission to put him a tube for ventilator. Without haste, I agreed saying; “ Just do all necessary things for him…Please don’t salvage him…” I both woe and calls God’s mercy for him to recover….my hubby tried to pacify me as he shed in tears… I knew that my hubby also asked for God’s mercy to extend Rus life. Some nurses suggested that I should be vacated from the area considering that I am 6 months pregnant and I shouldn’t witness the scenario to avoid stress. It made me angry considering that I want to be in my son’s side in his difficult moments. I never went out in the room. I hugged to my hubby as he comforted saying God’s words of worship. Both of us were crying. Then, the portable x-ray machine came and the technician signaled me to vacate the place. They toke some x-ray for his tummy check. MY hubby tried to help me calmed down especially we both go through difficult situation. He called and SMS his family and friends regarding his son’s condition. Nel tried to calm down as he was crying, too. 

This is the appearance of Rus before leaving the hospital.
Soon , the boy was revived. Vital signs were normalize. His cold body started to warm for he was aided with drop light. Doctors made post conference with us immediately. The chances for him are so slim….they quote 60/40. 60% is the critical level and 40% is the chance of survival. Any moment the boy would leave us. Maria Reyna Xavier Hospsital ‘s ICU was full. They help us scout nearest hospital with vacant ICU. It is only Polymedic Medical Plaza (PMP) has the vacant slot. We talked a lot from the doctors regarding his transport to ICU. He will not be transported unless vital signs are stable because transportation is also critical. He may lost during the transport. So we waited all things were cleared. We had made clearance in the MRXU and made down payment to PMP. 


Just around 9 in the evening all of my hubby’s family came for comfort and moral support. My family came to comfort us, too. As they continued to pray for him, Rus finally awaken. He moved and started to be fussy. Nurses tried to control him. We were all happy considering he will be transported consciously. Not too soon, we were in the PMP via ambulance. He was transferred to ICU properly prior I left the hospital. His papa and Nel stayed back in PMS to close monitor the baby. We arrived at PMP safe and sound. My family never left us not until Rus was settled in the ICU.





4TH OPERATION CAME...
The life here simply it doesn't end here. A lot of humps and bumps along the way. I almost tormented because of desperation for him to live. He undergone 4th operation because his tummy extended a little bigger this time. I was very nervous of the choice yet very hopeful in the hands of the surgeons. I do believe God is working on them.Yes, indeed. The operation is very successful. They were able to release 400ml of water and air in his body. They created 3 drainage in his body. One for the jackstone sprut, and a two pen rose drain.

The purpose of a drain is to let blood, pus, or other fluids escape from a wound while it heals, without letting bacteria get in. Blood or pus will flow through a tubular drain or round a solid one.Although not all wounds need drains, and drains have their risks: (1) Bacteria may enter from outside, especially if nursing care is poor. The risk of this is small if you use a closed drainage system and your nurses are good. (2) Bacteria may come from inside a patient and infect the tissues through which the drain passes, particularly the abdominal wall. (3) A drain may erode a vessel or a suture line, especially if you leave it in for a week or longer.


Rus in jugular IV insertion
Since Rus came in Polymedic Plaza with all possible IV sites in the hands and feet were all collapse. teh doctor has no choice but to ask permission from us to do the jugular IV insertion. We were frightened from this style yet it is the best for him as the doctors commented. Soon its no longer jugular. In fact, the two sites of the head and the forehead were also used for the IV insertion.

WEAN OFF FROM THE VENT
After a week being operated for the 4th time, we were happy when the doctors wean him from his ventillator  consequently on the following days he was given through trial oral feeding. The doctors told us by 2 days time we will move to the regular room.


So we go home with a good rest. On the following day, when my hubby was very excited to inform me that Rus has undergone first oral feed via NGT, I also long to see him.

In my excitement, upon arrival in the hospital, horror envelope me. I saw Rus being dehydrated. He suddenly dispel body fluid horribly. He is so skinny, pale, dry and irritable.He look like a dying Somali boy. My heart was pounded with mortar. I cant help but to cry. Asking help from the doctors why he dispel a lot of fluids uncontrollably! In this point, a lot of trial they do. Our hope of having in a regular room suddenly burns down. He is dying!

One week after the continuous IV transfusion and urine sample evaluation, I see no choice but a miracle to happen. He is desaturating! Intencivist doctor declares, only God's miracle can only take him way to leave. I see no choices but to hold on the little hope that in us. many people inform me on my son's status. They even said I must ready  when my son will leave. However, I rebuke all what they said. Int his difficult time, I rely my strength to God.





No comments: