Monday 17 September 2012

MEDICAL PROCEDURES ON THE GO

JULY 28, 2012

     Aunt Berna and I visited SGH again. Suppose today was my amniocentesis schedule, instead I was advised to visit a genetic counselor. The doctor never continued the procedure considering I had vaginal bleeding for previous days. It would be dangerous for the baby because miscarriage will likely to occur.

      In the office of the genetic counselor, we were given substantial information regarding the amniocentesis procedure. The counselor made sure that we understood what was going to happen. She discussed the actual chromosomes that were going to be looked at, how much amniotic fluid was going to be taken out, how the procedure was going to be performed, and I had to sign waivers that stated how to take care of myself after the procedure and precautions to take when the amniocentesis was over.

INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT YOU

You are 15 weeks now.Your measurement now is about 4 inches long, crown to rump, and weighs in at about 2 1/2 ounces (about the size of an apple). You are busy moving amniotic fluid through your nose and upper respiratory tract, which helps the primitive air sacs in her lungs begin to develop. Your legs are growing longer than your arms now. You can move all of your joints and limbs. Although your eyelids are still fused shut, you can sense light. For instance, if we shine a flashlight at my tummy, you likely to move away from the beam. There's not much for you to taste at this point, but your taste buds were forming. http://www.babycenter.com/303_11-weeks_1615699.bc


AUGUST 6, 2012

      Today was my amniocentesis schedule. I was ready and relax. Your aunt Bernadette was with me in the room. I was laid in bed, the doctor checked you as he placed you in the best position in order you will not be hurt as the big needle will be poke in my tummy.  Every single parts of your body were measured. You were 17 weeks old now! I asked my doctor whether the lump grew together with you. It was true that it did grow along with you! I was sad of the news yet still hopeful for its answer. 

The doctor was straight face. I was asked to take my shirt off and put on a gown and then they began an ultrasound to observe where the baby was located in order to perform the procedure safely. My entire stomach was swabbed with betadine (to sterilize) and the doctor came in to begin the amniocentesis. He encouraged me to close my eyes and told me to remain calm throughout the procedure. Other than the personnel in the room, my sister who was openly wide awake to see the every inch of the doctor’s movement. You were monitored in the big screen, so everybody can see the things that happen inside you. I closed my eyes, toke a deep breath and then the doctor poke the needle to my tummy towards the placenta.  I felt pain.  It did hurt and I tried to stay calm but it was a little difficult.

I don’t know what happen then. After the procedure, my sister told me everything. The needle was long and very thin. She watched everything on a television screen from the needle going in. The needle was just a hand reaching for my baby. The baby was kicking several times. Then, the amniotic fluid was extracted from it eventually you calmed down. 
All of a sudden I felt a tightening of my abdomen and I was told that I had just had a contraction which raised my placenta stopping the removal of fluid. I was reassured that this happen. We had to wait the full 2 weeks for our results. 

Before I left the office, the assistant nurse gave me a list for me to remind myself after the procedure. These 4 things were: CALL your doctor immediately if: 1) There is a leaking of water (that is amniotic fluid leaking) 2) Bleeding (A gush of blood like I got my period) 3) A fever 4) Intense cramping and pain.

Furthermore, I was advised to rest for an hour before going back home. Upon arrival, I must have a complete bed rest for 6 hours. I was prohibited to do extraneous work, lifting heavy objects, or do any activities that entailed to exert more effort.

Today, I spent 4 wonderful rest days. I had a wonderful time chatting to our family overseas, ate nutritious foods, drank lots of water, listening to music, and reading on-line articles. In these few days, I could receive your amniocentesis result which the SGH mailed to us. I was happily waiting for your result. 

By the way, you had a name now. We called you RUSVER, meaning an elixir of courage
All the best in you baby.
Grow well my little peanut. We love you baby.

INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT YOU

Your skeleton is changing from soft cartilage to bone, and the umbilical cord — your lifeline to the placenta — is growing stronger and thicker. You’re weighs 5 ounces now ( about as much as turnip), and you are around 5 inches long from head to bottom. You can move your joints, and your sweat glands are starting to develop.http://www.babycenter.com/6_your-pregnancy-17-weeks_1106.bc?intcmp=timeline

No comments: